Friday, December 6, 2013

To America and back...



The latest blog post ever...seriously. I started this blogpost over a month ago. And then I was on the road...Tofo, Manjacaze, Namaacha, Maputo, Macia, Bilene. And then, I foolishly dropped my computer and broke my screen. So let's just say, I've been a little out of touch. But, thanks to my dear PCV friends Mike and Marisa, I am at their house using their computer and Internet bringing this blog post to you. So very belated, but here are some pictures from my trip home and a nutrition training I went to in Manjacaze last month. The trip home was a whirlwind of family, food and friends. I can't put all the pictures here so I'll just share the work-related ones. I was also able to share my experiences with three different groups: the 4th and 5th grade at my middle school, my grandmother's senior center and my cousin's 7th grade class on Long Island. I loved hearing their questions and their expressions as I shared some of the realities of my daily life. While now it is tough to think about how just over a month ago I was back home spoiled in the land of milk and honey, I am so glad I took the time to go home and visit. But, there is no doubt, that it is great to be back in Moz. So it goes...

As part of Peace Corps Goal # 3 to improve the understanding of host country nationals on behalf of Americans, I have been participating in the World Wise Schools Program. When I was home, I presented to the 4th grade class at the Old Saybrook Middle School. 
One of the students trying on a capalana.
Some of the students watching videos the kids from CACHES made for them to watch. The kids from CACHES also sent a soccer ball made out of plastic bags to show the kids how they make soccer balls. 

Nutrition Training at Association Mozaic in Manjacaze, Gaza.


Evan, one of my fellow PCVs, who led the training, using some volunteers to explain the benefits of using compost in your garden.
My counterpart Paulo and I at the nutrition training. 

During one of the cooking demonstrations, Evan demonstrated how to use chaya, a more nutritious plant, to make traditional Mozambican dishes. 



All hands in. During the training, we worked together to make peanut butter.

We also made banana jam. Olivia, one of my PCV friends and some of the female counterparts working to mash the bananas for banana jam. 










1 comment:

  1. I think it is awesome that you made time during your trip home to talk to students about your PC experience. I am glad you hear things are going well back in Mozambique.

    ReplyDelete