Friday, December 6, 2013

Murals...Murals...Murals

I have never been extremely artistic. But, since I have been in Moz, I have surrounded myself with people who are quite talented. So I have had to step up my game. But, that is still not saying much.  However, over the past two weeks, I have participated in three mural projects. However, I only let myself paint big spaces. No detailing allowed. And mostly, I just sit in awe of the talent of those I am working with. It has been a busy two weeks, but it has been such a wonderful experience. 
Two weekends ago, my supervisor Sam and I went down to Namaacha to help the newest group of volunteers, Moz 21, do a mural at the Peace Corps office in Namaacha (See pictures below). And last weekend, we hosted three JUNTOS groups, a Peace Corps secondary project focused on expressing health messages through creative art forms, to do a mural in Chicumbane. Then, on Dec. 1st, World AIDS Day, we worked with the kids at CACHES to do a mural. So considering my lack of artistic talent, we have been pretty busy the past few weeks. And the results haven't been half that bad.  But, don't take my word for it....see for yourself. 
JUNTOS Mural in Chicumbane completed November 30, 2013.

Some JUNTOS members working on the mural.

The whole group in front of the mural. We had about 40 participants in total, including members from Macia, Chibuto, Xai-Xai and Chicumbane.

Tania and I at the completion of Day 2 on the Namaacha mural.
Please note: I was only responsible for painting large spaces. No detailed areas.  

My supervisor, Sam, working on some of the finishing touches of the mural. 

TA DAH!!!!!!

December 1: World AIDS Day at CACHES.

Some of the older kids at CACHES worked on a mural at CACHES on World AIDS Day. As part of World AIDS Day, we talked about HIV/AIDS, played some games, danced and enjoyed a snack from the Canadian organization, Right to Play.

Working on the mural.



All of the kids, about 85 in total, lining up to play Limbo.

Alface!!! That's the Mozambican word for Cheese.
The whole group in front of the mural the kids did on World AIDS Day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment