Sunday, July 7, 2013

Vacation

I wish I could have seen a video of myself from when I first spotted my dad and my sister in the Capetown Airport. As I walked through the gateway from customs to the waiting area I was eagerly anticipating our encounter. Upon entering the area, I didn't see them. The thought crossed my mind, "Could they have been delayed?" But, then I realized I didn't even know their flight number.I stared blankly at the screen of arrivals. I tried called my dad's phone, no answer. But, then, I spotted them pushing their luggage cart down the hallway. I took off running in their direction. It was one of those dramatic airport meet-ups from the movies, think Love Actually. Vacation had begun.

First stop: CAPETOWN, South Africa. The city itself set at the foot of Table Mountain is just breathtaking. And then, to add the beauty of Cape of Good Hope, history behind Robben Island and all of the rich variety of food, I was slightly overwhelmed. I had contemplated just writing a blog about all the food I ate, but decided that would not be nearly as exciting for the reader. But, Capetown was absolutely amazing and the mere 48 hours we had there was not nearly enough time. With the time we had, we were able to see the V &A Waterfront, eat at Hildenbrand Restaurant, tour Long Street, visit Robben Island and hear the stories of the political prisoners, take a driving tour of Cape of Good Hope and Cape Point also stopping at Boulders Beach to see the penguin colony and eat at Beluga Restaurant. Unfortunately, we did not make it up Table Mountain because of a cloud coverage. But, that just gives me a reason to go back.

Cloud-covered Table Mountain

Sunrise over the waterfront in Capetown

The V & A Waterfront

Heading out on the ferry to Robben Island

Nelson Mandela's prison cell on Robben Island.

Robben Island

Penguins on Boulders Beach

The most south-western point on the continent.

Fighting the wind at the Cape of Good Hope. 

Between the Cape of Good Hope and Cape Point.

Cape of Good Hope!

A long way from home...

The lighthouse at Cape Point.

Sunset on the drive from Cape of Good Hope back to Capetown.
 Second Stop: LIVINGSTONE, Zambia. Victoria Falls. One of the seven wonders of the world. We truly experienced the falls. Sunset cruise. Elephants. Walking along the paths of the falls. Baboons. Livingstone Island. Standing at the edge of the falls. Crossing the bridge between Zambia and Zimbabwe. Watching the sunset over the falls. The Flying Fox zip-line across the gorge. Yes, even Den-Den zip-lined across the gorge. Unreal.
Zambian beer

HIPPOS!!

Sunset cruise on the African Queen


Sisters!

Morning Rainbow at Victoria Falls

Check out the baboon in the tree!

Oh hey zebra!

At the edge of the falls...

Tour of Livingstone Island.

Den-Den's senior picture at Victoria Falls


Felix, our tour guide, at the edge of the falls. 

Look Mom, I'm flying!!

There he goes...

Still soaring...

Bridget over the gorge.
Third Stop: JOHANNESBURG, South Africa. We are staying out by the airport so we didn't get to see the city. But, I know I am enjoying the FREE Internet at the hotel and just relaxing a bit before we set out on our safari in Kruger National Park. 

Stay tuned to future blog posts as Den-Den and Bridget's African Adventure continues...

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are having a blast!! I love Dad's senior picture! Haha!
    And those ziplining pictures are CRAZY!

    Love you!
    Miss you!
    xx
    M

    ReplyDelete