Friday, August 24, 2012

High-Fives for All



 I have always been a fan of a good high-five. Every sports team I was ever on growing up exchanged high-fives after each game regardless of the score. At BU, I worked at the Educational Resource Center, where High-Five Fridays were a way of life (everyone gave really enthusiastic greetings celebrating the last day of the work week). And then I worked at the Shopneck Boys and Girls Club in Brighton, Col. where high-fives were the standard form of affection between staff and members. Considering my history with high-fives, it is no surprise that one of the first things I taught my organization, Criancas Artistas Contra HIV e SIDA (CACHES), was the high-five.

When I first arrived at CACHES, the jovens (teenagers) started to give me hugs as a greeting and good-bye. I think they just assumed they would do the same with me as they do with Vivienne, the volunteer I am replacing. However, I was not so keen on this idea considering I just moved here and am starting to build relationships while Vivienne has been here for a year. Also my instincts from my experience at the Boys and Girls Club, threw up a red flag at such behavior. At the Boys and Girls Clubs we were always encouraged to give high-fives or the awkward one arm hug to avoid any accusations and potential law suits. While I do not think this is as much a concern in Mozambique, or rather a concern at all, I wasn’t quite ready to jump into the hugs myself.

On one of my first nights at CACHES when Fermino, one of the jovens, went in for a hug, I instead stuck out my hand offering a high-five. I didn’t snub him, but rather offered him a new cultural exchange. I was scared about how he would receive it, but he loved it. Now, we start every afternoon with a high-five and finish every evening with another. Sometimes he even goes for the high-ten. All of the other jovens have picked up on the high-five as well. While they continue to give Vivienne hugs, they know now to give me a high-five. I have started to teach some of the younger kids the high-five as well. Slowly they have started saying good-bye in this fashion as well. While I have seen the jovens exchange high-fives as well, I have not yet seen any kids do so, but I am sure it will come. I thought about translating it into Portuguese as we do it, “Alto Cinco,” but I think it would lose some of its appeal. All oft the jovens are working on learning English as well. In Mozambique, students start learning English in school in 8th grade.

Already as I walk around Chicumbane, I hear criancas from their yard yelling “Mana Ca-leen.” I don’t always know who they are, but I am sure that I must have met them at CACHES. I wonder if it is only a matter of time before they are not only yelling a greeting, but then will also run up to give me a high-five. Fingers crossed, someday that will happen.I figure the high-five isn’t much, but at least I have started teaching them something in exchange for everything I have learned from them already. Everyone has to start somewhere, right?
          

No comments:

Post a Comment