Thursday, August 9, 2012

10 Weeks in Photos


I know it is not a lot, but finally I have enough Internet to upload some photos--thanks to the free Internet at Hotel VIP in Maputo, Moz. Woot Woot! Finally, you can see a little bit of what I have been trying to describe in my posts. More photos to come in future posts! 
Our first day in Mozambique. The view from the Peace Corps office in Maputo, Moz. 
"This is AFRICA!" Taylor and I on our field trip to the traditional doctor in Namaacha.

Our language class: Sabrina, Anna and I with our Portuguese professor Parruque.  

The end result of a successful Sunday of washing clothes. This weekly chore usually takes about two hours, but I got a lot faster after 10 weeks of practice. Although, my sister could never believe how long it took me.
Casa de banho. Any questions?
Sunrise over Namaacha.

Anna's Mae, Anna and I at our cooking day outside my house. We learned how to make traditional Mozambican dishes and then we taught them how to make banana bread and guacamole!
Killing our first chicken. Probably the first and last.

After the Act. Before we killed it, Sabrina said a prayer for the chicken thanking him for his life. 
The end result after spending all morning cooking. What a feast it was!

Sabrina's little brother enjoying our feast. Yep, that's a chicken foot.

Our first permagarden in Namaacha  at Emily's house. We spent two days learning how to make a permagarden, a gardening technique used to help PLWHA get the nutrition they need. During one of the last lunches I had with my mae, she said that the lettuce in our salad was from the machamba at Emily's house.
My mae and I on Mozambique's Dia de Independencia, June 25th. She is a big supporter of Frelimo, the biggest political party in Mozambique. 

My mae, the U.S. Ambassador Ms. Leslie Rowe and I outside our house. She came to visit all of us in Namaacha just before she finished her term here in Mozambique. 
Alexis and I on  our site visit teaching the kids limbo at  CACHES--Criancas Artistas Contra HIV e SIDA--my future organization in Chicumbane.  Since we didn't have the music, we just had the kids sing a song. 

Sam, my counterpart; some of the teenagers; Alexis; and I outside CACHES. We had just finished playing games with all the kids on our site visit. 
Vivienne, the PCV I am replacing; Alexis and I at Xai-Xai Beach. The first of many more beach days to come!
Rosa and I serving rice and couvre for lunch at Precioso Sangue, the orphanage in Namaacha.
My mae getting ready to take a stab at the one of seven pinatas we made for our host families at our festa de despedida our last Saturday in Namaacha. They went crazy over the candy!


Meet MOZ 18. All 28 Community Health Volunteers with Claudia, our training manager, sporting our new capalanas from our families at the festa de despedida.


3 comments:

  1. Love the photos, Weens. Looks like you're having an awesome time! Keep up the good work, you will touch many lives :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This. Is. Awesome. And so are you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the pictures of the chicken! Amazing pictures Colleen! Keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete